Friday, August 26, 2011

"Doing Nothing"

Yesterday at around 7 p.m. I arrived at Target. I walked in casually and set place in the middle of the store, just standing there. I didn't talk to anyone, use my phone, or think about anything but "doing nothing." I chose Target because I knew there would be a variety of people there. While standing there I got a lot of strange looks and felt as if I was on display. One comical thing that happened was I got stuck in the middle of traffic between people. This one old lady in a wheel chair was giving me rude looks, trying to figure out what I was doing and whether I would move or not. I eventually ended up moving over so she wouldn't get mad. Some men that passed by laughed and one lady even tried talking to me. I feel the older the people were the more curious and confused they were. While conducting this experiment I felt very awkward and not sure of what to do with my self. I kept looking around to see people's reactions curious as to what they were thinking. Some people that walked by seemed to not even care and just walked along as if I wasn't even there at all. It was very difficult for me to do nothing because I am always doing something. I was very tempted to either pull out my phone, start looking around the store...anything. I felt as though I couldn't be myself because I was so caught up in doing nothing. I also felt like an outsider and very alone. Doing this exercise really changed my perspective on what it is like to actually "do nothing." All of the sudden your ordinary world turns into a strange place.

1 comment:

  1. excellent concluding line. That is exactly what needs to happen to start doing sociology.
    try to draw some conclusions about society... American teenagers have a hard time with doing nothing because...and then connect it to class- so i realized this when i was being sociologically mindful

    ReplyDelete