Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Family Socialization

Family has said to be the most important socializing factor in contributing to who we are today. This is because these are the people we spend the most time with and that have taught us rules, values and other facets of society and who we are. My assignment this week was to take a more in-depth look into how my family has socialized me. I decided to interview my mom and ask her an assortment of questions. When I asked her "what expectations she had for me before I was born" her answer was, "To be healthy and have no developmental problems." When I asked her "what lessons, values or ideas has she tried hardest to impart to me" she said, "That money isn't everything and be the best and do the best in whatever I do. Also, treat people nicely, fairly and honestly and be a caring and loving person, good friend, and someone people want to be around." When I asked her "what tradition is most important to you that I carry on" she said, "To keep my faith in Judaism and celebrate the holidays with family and continue that on with my own family." When I asked her, "Did you struggle with figuring out how to discipline me?" she said, "Only as I became a teenager." When I asked her, "What habits or parts of my personality do I have that you recognize as your own?" she said, "Always wanting more and not being satisfied with what I have and also very outgoing, personable, and funny." The answer that surprised me the most was about my religion. Since my family isn't very conservative with religion I didn't think that would be the most important tradition to her. I learned that my mom really values religion a lot and that she believes in my hopes and dreams. I feel my family has in many ways shaped who I am based on religion and how much I push my self to do the best I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment