Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Positive Deviance


Deviance is when you do something that is recognized as violating expected rules and norms. Most people consider deviance to be negative…but it doesn’t have to be. You can also violate the norms of society by doing something positive. For example, Julio Diaz recorded his story in New York City when he treated his mugger right. A teenage boy had a knife and threatned to kill Diaz for his money and instead of getting scared Diaz offered his wallet and his coat. He also offered to pay for a meal for the boy and gave him some extra cash. This is considered a positive act of deviance because usually someone would not offer to do something nice for someone that was trying to steal their money and kill them. This little positive act of deviance though probably changed the boy’s life.

My positive act of deviance was to give hot chocolate to one of the Sodexo workers that stand outside in the mornings directing traffic. I feel bad in the morning when they are outside and shivering because it is so cold. I would consider this an act of positive deviance because it is defiantly not a norm to bring the Sodexo hot chocolate. Most students usually do not acknowledge them at all and just blow them off. It is also positive because it is doing a good thing for someone.

It made me feel really good because he was so generous and thanked me a lot. He was also smiling so wide and it felt good to do this for him. My friend who I drive to school with also gave him the hot chocolate with me and she felt really good about doing it too. No one else really saw except us two because it was before school outside.

This really made me think a lot about the norms in our community. It is sad how it is not a norm to do those kinds of things for people in our community. It is as if positive deviance is not allowed but in reality it should be enforced. I now think a lot differently about how people should treat each other in society and have a good perspective on positive vs. negative deviance. 

2 comments:

  1. If I had a like button I would like this

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to shear a life changing story with everyone who cares to read this testimony. Blank atm cards are real and are effective all over the world. my name is Gorge Judy i live in SPAIN . I got this card from [skylink technology] a month ago. this card has really help me pay my debts and now i am free from all financial problems. I no this is hard to believe , but i never knew there was this kind of card until i got one. This card withdraw more than €6000 daily and it is very easy to use. But you have to be very careful in other not to be caught by the police because it is illegal. If you want more information on this card and how to get one just contact the hackers by this address
    skylinktechnes@yahoo.com or whatsapp +1(213)328–0248

    ReplyDelete